Sunday, October 11, 2009

Twenty-eighth Sunday in Ordinary Time

Wis 7:7-11
Heb 4:12-13
Mk 10:17-30

I have to admit that I have a relatively comfortable life. While I am not wealthy, I certainly lack for almost nothing. My waistline will definitely attest to the fact that I am not starving. One could say that I am blessed by God, but I am not fool enough to believe that just because I am not poor, God somehow favors me over others. I do not believe that God loves me more than someone who is less fortunate than I am. That strikes me as being more than a bit arrogant, and certainly more than a bit foolish. But some people do see things just that way. The people of Jesus time did see things just that way. When Jesus proclaimed that it is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for a rich person to enter the kingdom of God they were genuinely shocked. Wealth was a sign of God’s favor. One who was sick or poor must have done some evil thing to deserve such a fate. A young man approaches Jesus and asks how he may attain eternal life. Jesus admonishes him to keep the commandments. He replies I do and have, all my life. Jesus then tells him, go and sell all you have, give it to the poor, then come and follow me. The young man was devastated. He was like me, like many of us. He had a comfortable life, possessions, to him signs of God’s favor. Give it away, be poor, like a sinner, like one who hadn’t followed the commandments? He simply could not do it. I don’t condemn him, I don’t know that I could do it either. But let’s not make the mistake that Jesus was condemning his wealth, that Jesus was opposed to what the young man had, Jesus wanted to know something else. What were his priorities? What was more important, his possessions, or God? What really mattered to him? Jesus asks that same question of us. What are our priorities? What comes first, your stuff, or God?

Deacon John
Twenty-eighth Sunday in Ordinary Time
Oct. 11, 2009

1 comment:

victor said...

When “IT” comes to being arrogant, I’m almost sure that sinner vic probably tips the scales in conceit and pride when he decides to become foolish. For the ones who don’t believe me, well then they should simply ask ‘The Hotel of Fools’ one more of his crazy creation that he refuses to take credit for in the real world. :)

All kidding aside John, anyone who truly think, no matter how religious they might be, that he or she could figure out a spec of what “Our Heavenly Father” might be thinking at any moment are indeed in for a surprise. I believe that if God and His Angels were to allow anyone of us with a sincere heart to see a spec of that Eternal Moment in “Time” then “IT” would be “One” of the most enjoyable comedy spiritual reality movie that the eye of the beholder ever could imagine on any planet.

Believe “IT” or not, every 'Words' that Jesus truly said is true and for any of U>S usual sinners, to try and change any of "THEM" at any time, is really funny, well maybe “IT” is just for me because I’ve taken four so called nervous break down. Between you and me, if any were to listen to sinner vic whims, most in society would probably say something like, well we've heard your story sinner vic and as far as we’re concerned, you did nothing wrong to deserve any of “IT” which only goes to show that your God is truly a hateful god cause where's "The Justice" in all of "IT"?

I hear ya John! Is sinner vic for real or is Victor simply looking for a little Heavenly 'Self' Pity? :)

Between you and me and anyone else who might read you blog, I think that we’re all in need of God’s Help in prayer and all sinner vic needs to do is ask for “IT” and we'll gladly pray for him but just like every spritual and reality bodies, he's got free will and must ask with a sincere heart! Why won’t he ask? Go Figure!

God Bless,

Peace